Are Traumatic Brain Injuries Linked to Aggressive Driving?
Posted on behalf of The Bell Law Firm, PLLC on Nov 06, 2015 in Car Accidents
If someone loses consciousness for more than five minutes or requires overnight hospitalization due to a sudden hit or blow to the head, the person will likely suffer from a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
And according to a Canadian study published in the journal of Accident Analysis & Prevention, people who’ve experienced a traumatic brain injury are more likely to display incidents of “road rage,” a form of aggressive behavior while driving that can lead to car accidents and roadway fatalities.
Road rage can present itself in many forms, including:
- Sudden acceleration, braking, or excessive tailgating
- Cutting off other cars, or deliberately preventing another vehicle from merging
- Intentionally following or chasing down another motorist
- Flashing headlights or blowing the horn continuously
- Yelling at, threatening, or verbally abusing another driver or passenger
- Intentionally hitting another vehicle
- Physically assaulting other drivers, passengers, cyclists, or pedestrians
- Exiting your vehicle in an attempt to start a confrontation
- Using a gun or other deadly weapon on the roadways
- Throwing objects with the intent of damaging another vehicle
The primary focus of the study was to determine the relationship between brain injuries and dangerous aggressive driving, with the goal of improving road safety and lessening incidents of road rage.
In the study, Dr. Gabriela IIie explained how critical the brain is to everything people do, including driving. The seemingly simple task of driving actually involves multiple cognitive processes, all of which can be impaired by TBI.
Because a substantial number of drivers have experienced TBI, the study’s findings could pave the way for important roadway safety measures.
Dr. Illie suggests making proper screening, rehabilitation and prevention services available to drivers with TBI to help determine whether or not they are fit to drive.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of another driver’s road rage, contact the knowledgeable and compassionate car accident lawyer s at the Bell Law Firm today.
We will fight tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, and we only get paid when a recovery is made on your behalf.